Joan Andress Williamson of Sewannee, Tennessee will be the speaker for the Dorcheat Historical Association Museum’s June 8, 2009 “Night for the Museum” presentation. Her talk will be a presentation of the writings of the Two Treebys. Mrs. Williamson’s grandmother was Treeby Chaffe Miller (Mrs. R.H. Miller) and her mother, Treeby Miller Andress (Mrs. Harry Andress), both of whom have written very entertaining memoirs of their lives in Minden. Both were lifelong residents of Minden, Mrs. Miller, 1865-1953, Mrs. Andress, 1905-1976.
Mrs. Williamson is an honor graduate of Minden High School and Newcomb College of Tulane University. At Minden she was selected for Girls State, a trombonist in the Minden High Band, a Grig staff member, and a swim team participant. She was President of her class at Newcomb.
Marrying Samuel R. Williamson, Jr., of Springhill, she moved with him to the sites of his educational endeavors, the U.S. Military Academy, Harvard University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and finally the University of the South at Sewanee, Tennessee. Assisting Dr. Williamson in many ways, the most lasting recognition of her contributions was at Sewanee. There, the Board of Regents dedicated a huge stained glass window at the University Chapel in her honor. All the other windows are recognition of deceased persons. Joan was recognized for her work with the foreign students at Sewanee, but even more for her hospitality that she provided for the Board of Regents, the faculty, the students, and the townspeople.
In addition, Joan has been very active in the Episcopal Church and has served in leadership positions in numerous civic organizations. Joan and Sam have three highly educated children, Dr. George Williamson, a history professor at Alabama, Dr. Thad Williamson, a political science professor at Richmond, and Treeby Brown who has Masters from Duke. Treeby is a consultant in maternal and child health policy. Joan and Sam are blessed with four grandchildren and the couple now resides in Sewanee, Tennessee.
This will be the 6th in the series of speakers for the museum for 2009. These popular events are held at Christopher’s located at 615 Main Street in historic downtown Minden, Louisiana. Admission is free with donations accepted to benefit the year old museum. Doors open at 5:30 with “first come, first serve seating.” Refreshments begin at 6:00 p.m. with program beginning at 6:30 p.m. For more information about the museum contact museum director Schelley Brown at 318-423-0192 or visit the museum located at 116 Pearl Street. Museum hours and information http://www.museuminminden.blogspot.com/